For many of you, the reason you first came to us was “to get healthy.”
So I’m curious, what does that really mean to you?
The dictionary refers to health a number of different ways:
1. The state of being free from illness or injury
2. The general condition of the body or mind with reference to soundness and vigor
I like this one from the World Health Organization:
“A state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
That one seems a bit more integrated with respect to bringing your physical capacity, as well as your mental and social well-being, into the equation.
It also captures more accurately the changes we see within a person soon after they start CrossFit; because it’s certainly not all physical. The community and camaraderie amongst our members, and CrossFit worldwide, bring about a change in a person that they don’t realize as soon as the coaches do.
In younger clients, we see this when they come out of their shells and walk a little taller…with a bit more pride.
In adults, they are, simply put – more happy. Suddenly the day to day challenges, whether at home or at work, become much easier to navigate and overcome. And that, in a way, is thanks in large part to some of the heinously tough workouts we do.
When we do the hard things inside the four walls of CFG, it makes the hard things outside more bearable, even easier. Here are some quick ones to take note of:
- No longer feeling ‘out of breath’ walking up a flight of stairs
- No more joint pain, especially when getting up out of bed in the morning
- Getting quality sleep at night…and feel GREAT when you wake up!
- More energy to play with the kids in your life
But I’m curious – what does ‘health’ or ‘being healthy’ mean to YOU?
And more importantly, what can we do to help you get one step closer to that state?
After all, we are more than just a gym.